Wednesday, December 19, 2018

When No One Understands


The car waved me on in front of them. I reluctantly stepped into the road, even though I wanted to wait for them to pass. I hated people watching me walk. I moved like a grandma with a cane instead of the quick young person I used to be. I could barely put one foot in front of the other. My legs felt like lead trying to lift them.

While I trudged across, the car honked at me for walking so slowly. I almost burst into tears, but managed to hold it together long enough to pick up my few items from the store before I completely crashed from the sensory overload and fatigue. I broke down crying when I got back to my car.

As embarrassing and discouraging as it was, having a stranger frustrated with me was nothing compared to times friends or family wondered if I was really as sick as I claimed. Was I just being dramatic? It is so difficult to explain chronic illness, and even harder for the people you know to understand.

Does it seem like you're alone too?
Do you ever feel as though no one understands what you’re going through?
Is your suffering so difficult that those around you can't seem to sympathize or help?

You’re not alone this Christmas.

While the Christmas story seems full of hope and joy and nostalgia, there were some very hard circumstances surrounding that historical account. Giving birth to the Son of God was not all joy and ease.

Think about Mary, the mother of Jesus. She was told she would carry the Messiah. This is the greatest and most humbling privilege in the world! And yet she was met with opposition and judgment. People thought she had been immoral. Her reputation was forever ruined. It was ugly, and she probably got a lot of side-glances as she walked down the road.

Sadly, she couldn't even explain to them, because they wouldn't believe her. There was nothing she could do to make them understand.

Jesus received the same response. The Savior of the world was not met with the honor and praise He deserved. He was mocked by the people He came to save (Mt. 13:55). He was despised and rejected by men (Is. 53:3). His own people wouldn’t receive Him (Jn. 1:11).

However, it’s because Jesus endured mistreatment that He can sympathize with us (Heb. 4:15). It's because He was separated from the Father and experienced the worst type of aloneness that we are never left alone.

So if you feel hopeless this Christmas because no one can understand what you're going through, remember that you're not alone.

Jesus walked the worst road of loneliness, rejection, and misunderstanding so that we can find everlasting hope and comfort. He offers acceptance and understanding no mere person can provide. May the hope of the gospel, that God has made a way for forgiveness and acceptance through His Son, bring hope to you this season, even when no one else understands.

No comments:

Post a Comment