Tuesday, November 22, 2022

My Chronic Illness Journey

 


Today marks 6 months of Lyme and Babesia treatment (take 3, read more about my intial searching for answers here). The first time I treated Lyme + co-infections was 5 years ago and it took 2.5 years before I noticed progress. Then I plateaued and my doctor had me try IVs, which made a big difference… until I got chronic hives for 6 months and my health went downhill again. Chronic infections are a beast to kill, even with a great doctor.

Remembering how far I've come helps. 
  • I am not bedridden with extreme pain and fatigue anymore. 
  • Going to church or the grocery store doesn’t knock me out for the next three days.
  • I can work more than five hours a week!
And so even though my pain and assorted symptoms are still hard some days, even though I’m frustrated I still get 3-4 day headaches, I’m encouraged to keep going.

Despite the rollercoaster, my hope is not in healing, but the God of Hope who walks with me. I experience His grace in my weakness, and learn greater dependency. As I die to self and lay down my dreams and desires, I’ve found Jesus better—than health and every other thing.

He is near to me, and He’s near to you today. And one day all this pain will be redeemed. That’s hope, and that makes treatment with no end date worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment