Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Battling Discouragement


There are many things in life that can discourage and drag us down. Past hurt, broken relationships, financial stress, chronic illness, prodigal family member or friend, church conflict, our own sin. You name it; there is always something that tempts us to despair.

When it comes to discouragement in chronic illness, it’s been my experience that symptoms can alter my perception of reality. High pain or fatigue inevitably produces discouragement. But not only that; the rollercoaster of emotions and symptoms over time can lead to ongoing discouragement and despair about life in general.

I’ve battled discouragement already this week. One day, I woke up with energy and motivation, and got some tasks accomplished. It felt great. And then the next day I woke up feeling like I had been run over by a truck. Exhaustion and pain and many random symptoms flared. I started to cry that I could still swing that dramatically from day to day. I felt like I was backtrackingagain.

Where is the hope on these days? How can we battle discouragement in life? 
There is one simple (but not easy) thing you can do today:

Cling to the Rock.

David cries out in the Psalms:
"Hear my cry, O God, listen to my prayer; from the end of the earth I call to you when my heart is faint. Lead me to the rock that is higher than I, for you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the enemy." Psalm 61:1-3
It is normal to fight discouragement and despair in a broken and sin-cursed world. But it doesn’t have to weigh you down and crush you. When you face the reality of the brokenness of your own body, a relationship, or anything else, run to the Rock: "Be to me a rock of refuge, to which I may continually come." Psalm 71:3

Do you notice how it says, "to which I may continually come"? This is not a one-time deal. We are dependent people who need God’s grace and strength to daily face the discouragement without it crushing us. There's an old hymn that reminds us of this:

When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

His oath, His covenant, His blood,

Support me in the whelming flood;
When all around my soul give way,
He then is all my hope and stay.
-The Solid Rock

When you can't see past the fog of discouragement, when everything around you seems to be falling apart, there is a Rock that is steadfast. One who loves and cares tremendously for you, who never leaves you or forsakes you.

On the days you're overwhelmed, discouraged, and tempted to despair, don't try to solve the difficult life problems on your own. It only leads to greater despair. Cling to the Rock until that storm lightens a little. And then look around carefully and see the Father's support and protection amidst the whelming flood. This will provide hope as you battle the discouragement of today.

No comments:

Post a Comment