Friday, February 11, 2022

God's Care through Chronic Illness



“And if not He is still good.”

I considered purchasing a shirt or mug with this phrase during my 4 years of Lyme and co-infection treatment. After multiple doctors, medications, endless bloodwork, and thousands of dollars in supplements and treatments, I was fearful that another treatment would just be agony and not effective.

(Side note: not everyone knows that Lyme treatment is worse than the actual miserable symptoms. I faced my worst depression and suicidal thinking during treatment.)

In the pain, I wrestled with the question that if God didn’t heal me, if my quality of life stayed exactly the same for my lifetime, could He could still be good? Did God still love me if my pain, fatigue, and despair never improved? Could I make it through life in this misery? I cried in anger wondering what God was up to. I took that anger to God, while frequently not believing it made a difference. But I kept crying out because I was desperate.

And He gently, patiently, lovingly reminded me of His care for me. 

Care in His provision of treatment. 
Care in His provision of an amazing doctor. 
Care in His provision of loving family and friends. 
And many other ways...

I’ve never been content with my chronic illness. And I don’t believe God asked me to be. I think that longing for wholeness points me towards heaven. But I did learn that His sustaining grace was evidence of His goodness to me. I’ve learned to trust Him in the dark. So today, while facing pain from a lot of physical and mental work last week, I’m looking at how far I’ve come, and reminding myself that He is still good. Yesterday. Today. Tomorrow. And forever.

2 comments:

  1. Alison,

    I discovered your blog last year and have been encouraged by reading your archives. I'm glad to see you have posted again; I'd been wondering how you are. I have chronic Babesia and Bartonella infections, so I can well relate to the herxing... It's so hard, isn't it? But thank you for continuing to trust God through this and look for the ways He is caring for you. And thank you for sharing your story.

    Blessings,

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement, Lauren! Yes, my writing's been a bit sporadic here the last couple years. So hard to keep up with everything. ;) I'm glad my archives have been encouraging to you though. I write a little more frequently on social media; feel free to follow me on Facebook (Allison Griffin) or Instagram (@simplybreathinghope) if you'd like. Praying that God would encourage and strengthen you today.

      Delete