Friday, April 1, 2022

God's expectations... or yours?


I think sometimes we put higher expectations on ourselves or others than even God does. I know, mind-blowing statement. But hear me out...

We think we have to accomplish x, y, and z, to serve in this capacity, to be involved in this and that ministry. We have to keep up with our job, church, social activities, healthy eating and exercise, and more—and feeling exhausted by the weight of it all. 

Then we turn our self-inflicted (or others-inflicted) expectations on others, telling our friends to do something that we think they must do, when it’s really not our jurisdiction to tell them how to prioritize their time.

What’s incredible is that while I often doubt myself and wonder if I did enough, while I sometimes weigh the pressure or expectations of others or am frustrated by my limitations, I really don’t have to remain spinning and questioning.

While I wonder if I’m doing enough, all God says to me is, 

“she has done what she could.” (Mark 14:8)

Wow.

What a powerful statement. I can do what I am able, and not worry about what I can’t do. This frees me to rest, knowing I have been faithful to do what I can. And that’s enough for Him.

Rest today in that truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment