Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Fighting Fear



What is the opposite of fear? 

Love? Courage? Faith? Those all could be true. 

But there's another one I heard that struck me. Hope. 

I resonate with this because there was a day I wondered if I’d ever be able to pick up my camera again, play the piano, or do other things I loved. Chronic pain, and the fear that accompanied, made it feel impossible.

You see, when I’m anxious or fearful, I’m expecting that the worst outcomes will come true. I believe that the negative will be reality. I can’t have hope. And if I allow my thoughts to ruminate, I can’t see any way forward. 

In order to not be paralyzed by fear, I have to move from the expectation of something wrong or miserable happening, and instead expect that something good will happen.

This is a challenge in a chronic illness journey. You often protect yourself from hope because you don’t want to be disappointed again. This treatment might work, but it might not. People pray for your healing, to no apparent avail. The healing journey is long and hard. When facing what seems impossible, consider this:

“We may hear our hearts say, ‘It’s hopeless!’ but we should argue back.” Tim Keller

Arguing with that hopelessness, speaking the truth to yourself, is a way of clinging to hope.

It’s normal to be fearful. I’m not condemning you. But if you want to move beyond your fears, practice “expecting hope”.

This isn’t a flippant “learn to see the good” or “just choose joy” response. This is a hard fought battle to believe in a Good Father who loves you and does what’s best for you, even when things appear to be hopeless. It takes time, and you won’t do it perfectly. But as you learn to turn your thoughts towards God’s goodness and care, you will land on hope.

So today, I want to practice being hopeful for the future, instead of focusing on the fearful possible outcomes.

Will you join me?



No comments:

Post a Comment