Saturday, March 10, 2018

Comfort from the Psalms: Psalm 73


Psalm 73 is one of the most marked-up passages in my Bible. That’s partly due to a teaching I heard, and partly because it resonates so much with the season I’ve been in the last few years. There’s much comfort to be found from Psalm 73.

It's interesting to me that it appears Asaph had health issues. When he compares to the wicked, he says “their bodies are fat and sleek (v. 4, ESV).” NLT’s description is “healthy and strong”. It isn’t surprising that he is envious, because when you’re in the grips of darkness and suffering, it's so tempting to compare to those who appear better off. In this situation, Asaph sees the wicked prospering, and believes his attempts at following God are in vain (vs. 4-13).

Have you been there? I know I have.

What rescues Asaph from his struggle? It’s not a change in circumstances, but a change of perspective resulting from worship. Isn't that always what gives us hope? Looking to Christ instead of fixing our gaze on the storm around us brings hope in the darkness. Asaph saw that the temporary pleasure and ease of the wicked would not last (vs. 17-19). And he recognized that that his envy of their prosperity caused anger and bitterness to well up in his heart towards God (v. 21-22).

Asaph then turns his lament to God and preaches the truth to himself:
“Nevertheless, I am continually with you; you hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.”

This Psalm ends not with things becoming happy and easy, but rather with Asaph recognizing that there is nothing he wants more than God (v. 25).

My question for myself is, “Do I want God more than anything else?” It’s hard to answer sometimes, because I get so discouraged with the never-ending cycle of chronic health problems. Sometimes I'd rather have healing. Or comfort. Or a lot of other temporary things.

Are you battling some form of ongoing health problems? Then you're keenly aware of that reality of your flesh failing. Are you discouraged with your battle against the sin in your heart? Then you know how often your heart fails you. So where do you find hope and comfort? In God, your strength and portion. Asaph’s reminds us of this in verse 26:



God wants to deepen my hope in Him and strengthen my trust in Him. He wants to show Himself mighty in my weakness. And so that very trial that I despise may be the form of grace He is using to lead me to worship and rely on Him more fully. So let's not turn away from Him in anger and bitterness at our lot in life, comparing to those we think have it better. Instead, let's turn to God and say, with the Psalmist, "But for me, it is good to be near You."

No comments:

Post a Comment